Friday, February 3, 2012

Did Debian 6.0.4 break HP printers?

My HP printer is not printing since I upgraded to Debian 6.0.4. It gives me the message:
Filter "usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip" for printer "*" not available.
 Where "*" is the name of my printer obviously. There's a page on the HP Linux Printing page that looked promising as a solution, but only resulted in the printer printing gibberish with the message
% This file was generated by pdftopdf.
Very frustrating.
After re-installing HPLIP and trying Google again for answers, I came across this on launchpad.net. Very similar: Debian, same error message, same problem just after an upgrade.
It looks as thought the same thing has happened and printing will be broken in Debian until 6.0.4 is supported by the next version of HPLIP.
If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Update: The manual build and install for Debian in the Launchpad link above worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment